Oct 11, 2015

The Night They Drove Old VIX-ie Down

Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Music by The Band (YouTube)

Maxwell Pain is the name, and I burned a short-seller's flame
Till Dimon's cavalry came, and stocks tore up the charts again

In the fall of '09, bears were humbled
They'd just started to thrive
By October 10th, VIX futures fell
It's a time I remember, oh so well

The night they drove old VIX-ie down
Margin bells were ringing
The night they drove old VIX-ie down
And the bulls kept singing, they went
"Na, na-na-na-na-na, la la na-na-na-na-na la la"

Back with my wife at the CME, and last week she called to me
"Maxie, quick, come see -- there goes the E-mini !”

Now, I don’t mind swapping moves
From bulls to bears, 'cause the money’s so good
Their fake-outs mislead, it's no easy test
But we can never stop thinkin' this parry was theft

The night they drove old VIX-ie down
Closing bells stopped ringing
The night they drove old VIX-ie down
It's for the fences they're swinging
They went "La, la-la-la-la-la, na na la-la-la-la-la na na"

Like my father before me, I will fade demand
And like my brother above me, who took a bearish stand
He was just 18, toutin’ Elliott Wave
But a spoofer laid him in his grave
I swear there’ll be blood flow on the Street
You can't take Max Pain for long
With stocks in retreat

The night they drove E-minis down
With all the bulls still clinging
The night they devalued the yuan
And all their hands were wringing
And we went "La, la-la-la-la-la . . ."